To protect ourselves and the loved ones in this pandemic, keeping everything clean and hygienic is the most essential thing. So if you are the one who is always behind the camera make sure you are disinfecting your camera and equipment regularly.
Some reports suggest that the corona virus can remain active for couple of hours on the surfaces that it has come contact with. Government institutions has cautioned people to clean and disinfect frequently used surfaces like switches, phones, tables, door handles etc.
Why disinfect your camera
We use camera by bringing it close to human body many times. It can potentially be a transmission source for virus. Even camera bags and other gears can be dangerous during such times. So keeping your camera and other gears clean is very important to reduce the risk of getting corona virus. Try to use your live screen more during this time.
Disinfect your cameras and gears even during normal days. So use your self isolation time to clean and make your time productive.
Here is how you can do it
- Wipe the body of your camera. Rub it with soft material to start with. You may use some denatured alcohol and a soft brush to get rid of stains. Be mindful of the surfaces that have leather as alcohol can remove the glue. Make sure the handgrip and back side of camera is cleaned properly as these sides are exposed to human contact more.
- Once you have cleaned the body, here is how to clean camera lens and the sensor. These are very sensitive so be extra careful. You will need a dust blower, lint free wipes and a lens cleaner. Be extra cautious while cleaning camera lens with alcohol.
The use of disinfectants
- The basic: Soap and Water
You may clean the grips and bags with normal soap water. It is effective in fighting the virus. So using soap water is just as effective as using Lysol wipes.
Alcohols with proportions of more than 60% also works best to clean surfaces. The hand sanitizer that we all use is basically isopropyl alcohol. It is slightly less effective to soap but if you let it dry quick before you touch any surface, it works well. You can make a sanitizer by yourself by mixing 99% isopropyl alcohol with 1 portion of skin cream and mix it thoroughly.
All the camera lovers can use alcohol wipes as a best way to clean camera lens and also to clean and care for your camera gear as an additional measure and help fight the spread of this pandemic. The important thing is to stay away from crowds. Try to improvise on your skills during the lockdown.
Coronavirus has infected more than 90,000 people across 65 countries. Government of India has issued the do’s and don’ts to curb the spread of virus in our country. Here is the list:
- Use disposable tissue or cloth to cover your nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water at regular intervals
- Try avoiding public places
- Stay at home if you have influenza or cold
- Maintain distance with people who are sick
- Sleep well and take proper rest
- Have good amount of water keep your body hydrated
- Consult doctor in case of fever
- Do not touch your eyes, mouth or nose without washing hands with water and soap
- Avoid hugs, kisses and shaking hands while greeting people
- Do not spit on public places
- Do not dispose used napkins or other disposables in public areas
- Avoid touching railings used by public
Click here to get live updates of coronavirus cases across globe: